Monday, March 30, 2009

Time Travel (March 12th, 2009) Shakopee Valley News

I think I need some sleep. I am writing this on Sunday, the day after the big change. Daylight Saving Time began this morning at 2 a.m. and I feel completely screwed up. Monday won’t be much better because I still won’t be over this jet lag sensation. We should make this change on Friday night, which would give me the whole weekend to adjust. My sense of time is way off. For example I think it’s about 4:00 and it ends up being 9:15. It may not even be Sunday anymore for all I know. I have trouble enough contending with the normal passage of time without agreeing to “lose” an hour. Oh sure I get it back in the fall but without any mention of interest or compensation. By the time you read this on Thursday I may actually have got used to the time change. I may even have begun to appreciate the longer sunlit days. But right now I am confused, annoyed, tired and crabby.

I tried to nap to “catch up” but that only made things worse. I woke up more tired than when I closed my eyes for a few minutes, or maybe it was a few hours. I just don’t know. My hair (what little of it there is) is all twisted around and I feel like I need to shower with coffee. Lather, rinse and repeat.

I know there were probably good reasons to begin this weird experiment but I choose not to discuss them right now – maybe tomorrow when I’m in a better mood. It may have started on Easter Island or at Stonehenge. This need we have to control something as ancient as time may even be supported with modern day reasoning, but I contend we should rethink this whole thing. Oh sure, President Obama talks about Hope and Change but when is he going to quit messing with our clocks? Certainly former President Bush can be blamed for this untimely mess. Will our children and grandchildren have to make up for this lost time?

Arizona and Hawaii don’t observe Daylight Saving Time – lawbreakers! Even Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and American Samoa have chosen not to participate in this time warp. Kyrgyzstan (a country near China) observes it year round. How does that work? Can’t we all just get along?

As a society we love time travel – and that’s what we’re talking about isn’t? Springing ahead, falling back. H.G. Wells’ book The Time Machine, Peggy Sue, Marty McFly, Doug & Tony from the 60’s TV show The Time Tunnel all entertained us with the concept of going back and forth in time. Even respected scientists Albert Einstein and Carl Sagan have discussed the concept. But for all this dreaming all we can muster is an hour here or there.

I say if one hour is good – why not two? Is it possible to change the clocks and gain longer weekends? Maybe slow down time so your kids stay little longer? Let’s really make a difference and skip entire days. Take one day at a time – nonsense! Let’s have some fun and take three days all at once. But please let’s turn back the clock enough to let me get out of the market.

I propose that this autumn we should fall back an entire week. That way we could take a paid vacation mandated by the government like they do in Europe. We’re headed that direction anyway. I should go to bed. I have to get up at 6 a.m.- or is it 5 or 7?

No comments:

Post a Comment