Thursday, March 18, 2010

Counting

“19 and Counting,” is one of the many reality TV shows that have taken over the airwaves. This show follows around Jim and Michelle Duggar and their 19 children.

In one episode Jim was trying to lose some weight. One thing he talked about stuck in my mind: It doesn’t sound bad if you only gain one pound per year, but over 25 years that adds up.

It got me thinking about my own gravity-pulling factor. If I am able to stick to the Duggar diet, by the time I’m 100 years old I’ll weigh almost 250 lbs. With the government’s focus on obesity that much personal mass may be unacceptable.

The First Lady, Michelle Obama, is leading a campaign against childhood obesity called “Let’s Move.” I would be happy to help the Obama family move out of the White House and back to Chicago, but I don’t think that’s what she’s talking about.

Using her own daughters as examples, Mrs. Obama said their family pediatrician “cautioned me that I had to look at my children’s BMI (body mass index).” TMI (too much information), Mrs. Obama.

But this is not the first time the Obama’s have gone public with their daughter’s weight. In November 2008, Barack Obama casually mentioned that his 11-year old daughter, Malia, had become “a little chubby”. I’m sure the Obama girls will turn out just fine without any professional therapy. After all, what girl doesn’t secretly wish that her parents would publicly discuss her weight?

If the President and his wife feel so free to criticize their daughter’s health, they will most certainly come after you and me next – not that I consider you obese, but I don’t think their girls had any weight problems either.

Combine this with what Nancy Pelosi, the Speaker of The House, may have meant when referring to the health care bill. “It’s about diet, not diabetes.” From the sounds of this our daily diet decisions may soon be made by the government. An innocent question to your neighbor “May I borrow a cup of sugar?” may get you turned over to the calorie cops. I think I may know how to head this off though.

If the president, under pressure from his family, quit smoking maybe he’d start eating like crazy. Nothing would be off-limits, Mountain Dew, Twinkies, Girl Scout cookies, even candy. Maybe he’d put on a few extra pounds and start to relax a little; and if he wanted to sneak a cigarette once in awhile, that would be all right.

I really don’t have a problem with President Obama smoking though. In fact, borrowing the words from Old Lodge Skins, the Indian Chief in the movie “Little Big Man”: “I would like to meet this man and smoke with him.” Although I don’t smoke, I would if I could sit down with the president. I bet he smokes Kools. As long I am living in this fantasy world, let me take it one step further: it would be fun to have a beer with him and just talk – my treat (maybe I could deduct it from my taxes).

During the course of our conversation I would tell the President that although I appreciate his concern for the citizens of this country, the American people can thrive without government interference. Independence – it’s what this country was founded on. Whether someone smokes or eats too much is their business (or their parents’ or guardians’) and not the government’s.

I’ll keep track of my own weight if you don’t mind; 190 pounds and counting. But hey, I’m working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment