Thursday, September 24, 2015

Facade

This past weekend I had a chance to get a closer work at the impressive buildings of an old river town. A four-lane highway dissects the beautiful downtown of this old river city, but this time I parked on a side street and walked to and fro, and back and forth which gave me a view I had seen during the many times of driving through it. I have long admired the old buildings - some former banks, others old hotels. They are striking with their ornate architecture, bright colors and impressive fronts; all have their best face on.

That which is publically faced is the facade. The facade is often patched and painted. Of course, it is not the true picture of the building, however it is the only side intended to be seen by the public. To get a different view you need to go around to the back.

I learned about the alley view when I was a garbage man. The back of a building is not nearly as pretty, but it may be more interesting, perhaps even more genuine. This is where you get a real picture of what goes on inside.

It’s more than just trash that is tossed aside; In the back of a building where all pretenses are dropped you see the tattered and torn shades of the second-floor apartments and wonder who lives there and what kind of life they have. The sporadic, ill-fitting window air-conditioners that hang precariously over the filth below may provide some relief from the heat, but they only change the view by obstructing it.

These old brick buildings have cracks in the mortar too, perhaps even in the foundation; these are invisible from the front.  Flaws and faults are not intended for public viewing and inspection. In fact, the two sides often don’t resemble each other at all.

I spent a year of my life as a garbage man viewing life from the alley; I have spent thirty times that as a salesman. During those thirty years, with all my flaws and faults, I have learned the importance of being genuine when dealing with others. I have also learned how to recognize that trait or the absence of it.

At some point Americans have decided that we want to be told what we want to hear, and we expect our politicians to act accordingly. Me, I just want some sincerity. Often politicians are accused of being two-faced. Even Abraham Lincoln was included in that group to which he responded, “If I had two faces would I be wearing this one?”

We want our candidates to give us their best and to show us who they really are so we can make an informed decision about which one we want representing us. As I watch the front-runner of the Republican presidential candidates insult everyone in his path and the leading Democrat candidate dance around the truth, I can only hope we are being shown a false front. Clearly, this cannot be who these people truly are. Because if this is their best side, Lord help us all.

We would be better served with candidates that are genuine and honest so we know what we are getting. Nothing new to consider with that statement, but I just want a chance to see that side, for that would be truly impressive.



No comments:

Post a Comment