Thursday, October 8, 2015

Hidden Truth

Sometimes where you are gives you a clear view of who you are. On the night of September 27th we were camping at Beaver Creek Valley State Park in the southeastern point of Minnesota. The park is set in a heavily wooded valley. Because there are no large cities nearby, the sky is especially dark and the only lights that are able to permeate the dense, deep valley come from the heavens.

Other than the soft glow coming from campfires and the few lights from campers getting ready for bed the park was completely dark. There were no streetlights, no neon lights, no floodlights, and no yard lights. There was only the light of the moon and a million stars.

I live in the country, but my home is close to some pretty good size cities. I have always enjoyed looking at the stars, but I had forgotten that I have been only able to see a few compared to the vast number that are visible when not masked by the cast of neighboring city lights.

On that particular night the Blood Moon appeared. The Blood Moon is a total lunar eclipse when the Earth casts its shadow over a full moon and the moon, embarrassed by the attention, blushes. Up and down the campground road people gathered to see the show. They stood on the road to get out from under the canopy of trees that obscured their view.

While the man from a campsite across from ours was standing on the road gazing at the moon, the woman busied herself inside their camper. Either she had seen a Blood Moon before, or she planned on being around for the next one in the year 2033. To think that she stayed inside because she didn’t care about what was going on skyward seemed less likely.

Up at the next place there were four trout fisherman sharing one tent camper. Based upon no more than the perceived ages of the four, I surmised that there were two pairs of elderly fathers and their middle-aged sons out on a fishing trip. Through the darkness I could hear the voices of these four men standing on the road. There they were, fathers and sons looking up at the rare event for the last time together – for most likely the older men would not be around eighteen years from now.

I hope I am around to see the next Blood Moon, and what’s more, I hope to see it at a campground. I’ll be seventy-four the next time it comes around and I don’t plan on parking my truck anytime soon.

The nomadic lifestyle has a certain appeal. While I still disdain much of the hassle of camping and dislike being away from the comforts of home, I have grown fond of the quiet campfires, the skillet breakfasts, the board games, reading by a dim light, hiking, and exploring small towns.

It is experiences like witnessing a Blood Moon from a dark forest floor that makes me realize how small I really am and how very insignificant many of my problems are. Sometimes it takes a big event to overshadow us.
















No comments:

Post a Comment