Friday, January 1, 2016

Book of Life

If time were a book, December 31st would be the closing of one chapter and January 1st would be the opening of another. As with any book, I like to go back and read some of the meaningful passages. With that in mind, here are some moments from this year.

In DECEMBER I wrote how Thanksgiving started with a “first-world problem.” A water supply line burst, but thankfully we were home to turn the water off before there was too much damage. Of the many things to be thankful for I can add indoor plumbing and safe drinking water.

In NOVEMBER I lost my mother’s sister, a sad event to be sure, but a reminder of my mother and my own childhood. The fallen leaves of OCTOBER brought me back to the churchyard of my youth and a melancholy feeling about the change of seasons and the shortened days.

While camping in southeastern Minnesota this SEPTEMBER I was reminded how my time here on earth is fleeting as I witnessed the rare “Blood Moon.” Sharing the campground with my family was a pair of adult sons and their fathers. It occurred to me that the older men would probably not be around to see the next appearance of this lunar event.

For years my father referred to my younger brother and me as “the boys.” In AUGUST my daughter began to refer to her son, Micah, and his brand new baby brother, Jonah, as “the boys.”

Small town festivals and county fairs dominated the commentaries in JULY. I was smitten with the simple pleasures and laid back atmosphere found at these outdoor festivals. I learned some life lessons while sitting across from a chess master: A peaceful existence is best, never pass up an opportunity to experience something new, follow the rules and keep your options open.

In JUNE, around the first day of summer when the shadows are shortest, my grandson discovered his. As he gets older and his shadow lengthens, I hope and pray he always walks in the light and that he discovers where to cast his shadow.

In MAY my wife and I began our season of traveling and camping by sticking to the back roads.  It’s a wonderful way to go – if you’re not in hurry, as a 30-minute trip can easily become two hours while exploring back roads and small towns. That day ended in Henderson, which is close to home, but you don’t need to travel far from home to have a good trip or a good life.

Bob Seger and Blue Jeans were two of the subjects covered in APRIL. Seger’s songs helped me reach out to an old friend, and blue jeans helped me bridge the gap between my father and brother’s sense of fashion.

My eyes and ears were opened in MARCH by a fourteen-month old boy. I sat on the couch, while my grandson, Micah, stood and looked out the window. He marveled at a bird’s ability to fly, the wind dangling a leaf and the stereo of sounds that filled his day.

In FEBRUARY I found myself wishing for more days in this shortest month of the year. It may be the only month where one can sit by a fire and read night after night without anyone thinking them lazy. I may be fooling myself with these thoughts, as few others shared my sentiment. The first essay of JANUARY began with a blank screen as the whole year was laid out before me.

 So as this dog-eared and worn year comes to an end, I start looking for ways to make next year even better. My desk sits in front of an east-facing window, and once in a while between sentences, I will look out that window and imagine I can see tomorrow just beyond the horizon.  Turn the page.





No comments:

Post a Comment