Thursday, April 21, 2016

Trite and True

When spring break came for some members of my family we decided to get out of Dodge; but instead of going south, we went north. No one would ever describe I-35 as the road less traveled, nevertheless we managed to avoid traffic by leaving early in the morning. I like driving, and as long as I have enough coffee, you will never catch me asleep at the wheel. We didn’t leave real early, but better late than never.

Our first stop was Canal Park in Duluth for a Kodak moment, as my wife cannot resist taking pictures. There were no ships coming in while we there, so we missed seeing the Lift Bridge operate – but that’s water under the bridge. Another stop we always make is the Lake Superior Maritime Visitor Center, where once again it was proved that the best things in life are free: no admission charge.

We were reminded that there is no such thing as a free lunch when we stopped at Grandma’s Saloon and Grill. By then I was so hungry I could eat a horse, despite that I only ate half a sandwich. I’m not getting any younger, so I’ve started to watch what I eat – including quantities. The rest of the family had a little of this and a little of that.

Heading further north we took the scenic route instead of the expressway. This way we were able to stay close to Lake Superior, where it’s just water as far as the eye can see. Our next stop was Tofte and Blue Fin Bay, where we have been there and done that, even so we liked it so much the first time we decided to come back.

All the suites overlook the grand lake, which for me is a litmus test as to whether the hotel is worth staying at. If I am going to be in a home away from home I want it to be memorable. Imagine leaving with the feeling of having nothing to write home about.

At the end of the day after a day of driving I am ready to relax and do nothing. Of course, Rhonda and I don’t always see eye to eye on how to spend our time. She wants to explore the place and check out the pool, whereas I would rather stay back and check out the TV and read a book, but why air dirty laundry?

I have heard it said “Beware the ides of March,” and I suspect one should also be mindful of the tides this time of year. The North Shore in March can be as cold as ice. I understand some people will don a wet suit and surf Superior, except to do that I think you’d have to be as crazy as a loon – and I swear I saw one of those on the big lake.

They say misery loves company, although not on the North Shore in March. Beats me why, but there were no crowds at the state parks, in the villages, or on the highways. I suppose it could have something to do with temperatures in the twenties and snow, as most everyone wants their place in the sun.

I had heard it through the grapevine that we would be stopping to see some waterfalls in the area. That was just the tip of the iceberg, we saw about a dozen. I guess when it rains it pours – they seemed to be roaring everywhere.

Everyone has their cross to bear, and I tried to be a good sport and stay in the game because actions speak louder than words. Even though all’s well that ends well, when it came time to leave for home, it was bittersweet.  They say that you can never go home again, but I was ready to test that theory.

The return trip seemed to take forever, yet it was worth the price of admission, because there’s no place like home. I don’t want to let the cat out of the bag, however vacationing up north this time of year may be a well-guarded secret. Say what you will, but going some place warm for Spring Break is so cliché.



No comments:

Post a Comment