Thursday, September 8, 2016

Lunarcy

In the 1942 movie, “Now Voyager,” Bette Davis says “Oh, Jerry don’t let‘s ask for the moon. We have the stars.” Obviously, she wasn’t talking to me (I wasn’t even born yet), she was replying to her co-star, Paul Henreid.

Considered one of the greatest lines to come from the movies, it has generally been interpreted to mean that since you can’t have it all you should be content with what you do have. I agree, but why leave well enough alone?

There are perspectives that appear to contradict each other suggesting that if you aim for, say the stars (or moon) and hit the moon (or the stars) you have at least reached a goal. The thinking being that if you miss one, you’re bound to hit another. I think NASA might disagree, but we’re not talking about rocket science here, rather the stuff that dreams are made of.

Why does either one hold such promise and pull? As far as goals and desires go, if one is closer or more attainable it gets taken for granted, and if it is more common and plenty then the same conclusions may apply.

Consider the stars and moon. The stars are infinitely further away than the moon, yet they are there every night for us to gaze at and wonder about (unless, of course, it’s cloudy or you’re unlucky enough to wish upon one and have it immediately fall from the sky, which I suspect would shake almost anyone’s foundation).

The moon, on the other hand is much closer, so much so that we have landed on its surface (not me personally, but we as the human race). So what makes the moon special? Is it because the man in the moon looks like Jackie Gleason? I think it’s because it only shows its full glory about once a month, and once in a blue moon it shows up twice.

The moon is 100% full for only about a minute – but appears to last three days – still three out of thirty isn’t very much. If it was more common and there was a full moon every night or once a week, it wouldn’t be so special.
Since it’s only here just once a month, we give it a lot of credit and it shows up in songs, movies, plays, etc.

We expect much from our moon. We plant by the moon because we believe the crops will grow better, and the staff at hospitals feel that the night of a full moon will be busier, I have even heard that getting your haircut during a full moon will cause it to grow back thicker. Something to do with the tides I guess; I am willing to try that one.

Some find it’s hard to sleep during a full moon. The night is certainly brighter, if not a little scarier when the moon is full. I have walked home many a night guided by the light of the silvery moon – and when my imagination let loose, I sprinted home.

But almost every night when I step outside I can see the stars; I am comforted and entertained by the slow seasonal rotation of the constellations. So Bette, if you don’t mind, I will ask for the stars and the moon, as there is nothing wrong with being content while dreaming.



No comments:

Post a Comment