Friday, May 22, 2009

Summer Job

Monday is Memorial Day, the day to honor those who died for our country. Memorial Day was first observed in 1868 to honor the dead from The Civil War. Originally known as Decoration Day it later became the day to honor the American Casualties from any war. In 1971 it was moved from May 30th to the last Monday in May to create the three-day weekend.

With the summer season starting I’m thinking of taking some time off – but just for the summer. In addition to working in such a noble profession, I think teachers must also be the smartest people in the world. They have the summers off. They deserve it. I also think that maybe I could benefit from the same schedule. I’m not sure I deserve it though. I just want to do something completely different while taking a few months off from my regular job. In some circles this is called “going on a sabbatical” (from the word Sabbath, meaning to take it easy).

Clive Prout, founder of The Sabbatical Coach (a web site developed to help people explore the idea of a sabbatical) describes it as “a period away from your normal routine - a time to immerse yourself in a different environment, a chance to see your life from a different perspective.”

That’s what I need, a different routine, something to mix it up a little. Maybe I’ll get a job, you know - a summer job. Some of the most fun I ever had working was while working on a summer job. Typically (at least in my world) a summer job is not permanent, complicated or particularly demanding.

I could become an election judge. To help assure accuracy I would even bring my own abacus. Politics has always interested me. I need a line of work to prepare me for the role of a trusted elected official. How about a stint as a professional wrestler or maybe a comedian? Maybe I could work as a mortgage banker selling ARMs (adjustable rate mortgages) and LEGs (lengthy egregious gimmicks).

There seems to be some call for medical assistance available only through the internet. Maybe I could become a miracle healer. I read about the family that is resisting government mandated medical treatment for their son. They appear to be victims of a modern-day snake oil salesman selling hope to the vulnerable and uneducated.

But in addition to being conflicted over government intrusion (remember the National Organization for Women’s mantra “keep your laws off my body”) and the glaring need to protect children of all ages, I am unclear if we are talking about alternative medical practices, or alter-Native American medical practices for profit.

I could go back to school and get my law degree. There are sure to be plenty of opportunities for an enterprising attorney to make a living. If the Scott County Attorney and sheriff get their way it will become even more illegal for minors to drink alcohol. I could represent the naïve parent, handicapped by their need to be considered “cool” by the younger generation, has hosted a party for their child and their underage friends.
But maybe I’m trying to hard. It’s possible all I really need is a good book, a cold drink, some shade and bug spray. So this weekend I will start the summer by remembering those who rest in peace. After all, because of them I have the opportunity to rest and relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment