Friday, May 27, 2011

The End

Even though there were predictions to the contrary, as far as I can tell the world did not end on Saturday, May 21st. Although on the following day the world did end for many people in North Minneapolis and Joplin, MO when tornados roared through and took their lives. For the rest of us, life on Earth kept going – for good and bad, I suppose.

Anyone guessing the correct date and winning the “end of the world” sweepstakes seems unlikely, but I do think it serves us well to hold this contest every few years. When the last day is fixed on the calendar, correctly or not, it shifts one’s thinking. Even though I never really believed that the world had been stamped “BEST IF USED BY MAY, 21 2011” I began to number my days.

I suppose it would be terrifying and even paralyzing to know with certainty the exact day of either your own demise, or of all creation. But just knowing that day is out there somewhere in the future can sharpen your focus.

The number of years each of us has is somewhere this side of 100 years (with some exceptions of course). For me I have used up about half of that number. If I have anything to say about it I would like to live to be 100, so that means I have about 49 left to get things done before the drop dead date.

I suppose I should have a to-do list: Get closer to God, mend fences with friends and family, read and write, take better care of myself, and leave a legacy. But with almost 50 left it seems like I have plenty of time – no need to rush into anything.

But what if it was less? What if I knew I had only 10 years left? I suppose I would grab a snack, sit down and watch some TV while I mull over my limited time. After I wake from my nap I would make a list of things I want to accomplish, people I want to see and places I want to go.

Not much of the day-to-day would really change though. I would still have my responsibilities: go to work so I can pay my taxes. With a full ten years ahead of me there doesn’t seem to be a pressing need to make any big changes.

I guess I operate best if I work under pressure – if I have a deadline I can really focus. To continue with this morbid line of thinking allow me to sharply reduce the number. Let’s say instead of the world ending May 21, imagine that it’s May 28. Now things get interesting.

Apologies, relationships and eternity all become very important when the days are numbered. With only a few days remaining I wouldn’t even go to work (unless it was to pick up my check). Material possessions would quickly lose their luster and become almost meaningless. Phone calls, letters and one-on-one conversations would rule the day. My dog, Buddy, would certainly get the walk he deserves.

As I see it, the trick is to go through life and take care of your responsibilities while focusing on the important and the eternal. When time is short, friends and family matter the most. How much time do you have left to make things right?

I predict my life; my world will not end in a week. On the contrary, Saturday, May 28th, 2011 is just the beginning for a young couple. On that day two people will begin life together and build their world. My daughter Jennifer is getting married to Adam (there I said it). As my wife, Rhonda, said, “Others must carry on for us.” Someday, Lord willing, they will bring our grandchildren to visit and the world may continue.

Congratulations Jennifer and Adam!

No comments:

Post a Comment