Thursday, May 5, 2011

May I

On the last Friday in April I did something I have never done before: I took a long lunch and went to a movie (including the previews) by myself. Now before you start congratulating me for my bravery it wasn’t that big of a deal. I’m sure there are others who routinely have the popcorn all to themselves, that’s just never been me. I guess I’ve always considered “going to the movies” a social outing that is best shared with someone. The person who recited “one, please” seemed, to me, forlorn and forgotten. As I don’t want to consider myself either of these I hope I was wrong.

I have been to a bazillion movies, sometimes several in one day. One summer day I, and two of my friends, went to five movies in one day (three of them were at a drive-in). But I don’t think I have ever watched an entire movie from title to credits by myself – not even at home.

The movie, “Atlas Shrugged,” was pretty good. I liked the book better though. At 1,168 pages it took me awhile to get through it. But it didn’t take me nearly as long as “Lassie and the Mystery at Blackberry Bog.” At 282 pages, that book, a present for my 8th birthday, took me a full year to read. I read it once more recently and was able to stretch it out again for a whole year – for old times’ sake.

I would like to do that with my life: slow it down, revisit my favorite parts, set it down and savor it. This year, for selfish purposes, I’d like to slow the whole month of May down.

This month I will watch (hopefully from a good seat) Nathan receive his college diploma in his cap and gown; this month I will sit in the front row and watch Jennifer stand on the altar in her wedding gown. I know I’m not the first man to see his son graduate from college or his daughter get married, but to have both of these happen inside of one month (May) may be more than I can handle.

As I have watched my kid’s lives unfold I have been able to foresee where both of their storylines would lead – I just never considered that they would happen so close together. The student becomes a teacher and the single woman a wife. The plot thickens. This May I may lose my mind.

I know I’m being selfish, but as the co-producer, assistant director, writer-in-residence, and sometime choreographer, I’d like to say “All right everyone let’s take it again from the top, and this time let’s slow it down.”

Life goes by too damn fast.

Nathan is ready to graduate and Jennifer is ready to get married. Both of them have done their homework and have learned their lessons. It’s time for both of them to take the next step. For all of us life is changing in a big way.

For 26 years I was the man in my daughter’s life and she lived under my roof; for the past 21 years, one or both of my children were in school. I have loved both of those supporting roles. It has just occurred to me (at this very moment – which is why writing may be more important to the writer than the reader) that my role as a father is also changing, and rather quickly. Thank you Captain Obvious. I may need to study my lines for the new part.

This month, I am going to do something I have never done before, but I won’t be sitting by myself. Rhonda, my wife and their mother, will be there too. Be sure to watch this space for reviews of the events as well as previews of coming attractions.

Pass the popcorn please.

1 comment:

  1. Ah! The ever changing dynamics of the family. Thank you Caption Obvious! I salute you!!
    Craig

    ReplyDelete