Friday, July 22, 2011

Fair Weather

Today the thermometer will top 95 degrees in the shade with the air so thick it’s hard to see clearly, but that what’s we wait for up here in the north. It’s the reason people stick around (or return) after five months of winter. I like to tell people (without any prompting) that I prefer January weather to July.

In the winter people up here stay inside and mind their own business. In the summer they are expected to go fairs and festivals. There aren’t too many of those in January.

I like good food, but I prefer fair food, and I know I’m not alone. Last week I worked at the beef stand at Bar-B-Q Days in Belle Plaine. There were men beneath the bleachers cutting up the meat. I stay out of their as I don’t want to lose a finger. Nor am I suited for making the sandwiches and wrapping them up “just so.” I really have no business being in anything resembling a kitchen – but there I was.

I had the easy job. In exchange for a ticket or two I handed over hot barbeque beef sandwiches, cold pop and water. In only a few hours hundreds were served.

There were the hungry paramedics on hand to save lives, the Shriners fresh off the parade needing refreshment (“drink up Shriners”), visiting royalty in all of their glamour (I didn’t see William and Kate), mothers and their children with sweaty red faces, brutish men with their shirt sleeves hacked off, politely asking for “just one”, women picking up supper for their working man, (“He’ll be tired and hot when he gets home from work”), carnival workers in a hurry to get back to the rides, kids I went to school with who now have grand kids.

Most of the tasks at these events are done by volunteers. I am a rather poor example as I have got into this role rather late, and I am not yet fully immersed in the position but I can recommend it.

There are opportunities almost every weekend to give back to your community (or county). The Scott County Fair runs July 27-31. This will be my second year of driving a “people mover,” which is not a very fancy name for a golf cart. It’s really fun – you get to drive around and pick up people and take them here or there. The conversations last only for a few minutes. It’s like speed-dating (not that I would know), except you’re in a golf cart and no phone numbers are exchanged. Here is the website for more information: www.scottcountyfair.com/

After the county fair there is Derby Days in Shakopee, August 3-7.
(www.shakopeederbydays.com/getInvolved/volunteer.php). There are plenty of volunteer opportunities available for this event. Last year I got to be a bingo caller. It’s a lot harder than it sounds. There is a lot of pressure in calling out numbers. The pacing has to be just right – too fast and some of the players can’t keep up, too slow and people get impatient. And of course you have to keep your numbers and letters grouped properly. I heard about a guy in some town out west who mistakenly called “G -7,” instead of the correct “B-7.” He was never heard from again.

In Jordan they have Heimatfest on September 10th. Although I have no experience in volunteering at this event I plan on offering my services. I can take tickets, call out numbers for bingo or drive a golf cart. (www.jordanchamber.org/heimatfest/)

Next year on the third weekend in July I will be back in the stand at Bar-B-Q days in Belle Plaine. I generally don’t plan that far ahead – but for those of you who do, here is the website for more information.
www.belleplainemn.com/chamber/Bar-B-QDays.php

I don’t have any plans to attend the St. Paul Winter Carnival next January. I will be inside reading a book if you need me for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment