Friday, July 1, 2011

Personality Type

The other day a friend of mine shared with me a list of myths about introverts. This sounds so much better than “the other day one of my friends on Facebook shared a link to ‘The Top Ten Myths about Introverts,’” because this description could conjure up an image of a lone figure in a dark room crouched over a keyboard spending time with his only friends.

I am not that person, but neither am I one who wants to walk around with a “Hello, my name is ____” badge in a room full of people (strangers or acquaintances). I think I’m somewhere in the middle. You, of course, will have your own opinions.

In general an extrovert needs to be around other people to get energized; an introvert needs solitude to get reenergized after being with a group. I am not professionally trained as a psychologist, psychiatrist, therapist, counselor or a member of a religious order. So I really have no business even writing about this, but I find it interesting – so there.

Carl King (carlkingcreative.com) put the list of myths together after he had read “The Introvert Advantage,” a book by Marti Olsen Laney, Psy.D. So here are my comments about a list which was given to me by a friend which had been compiled by someone else after they read a book written by yet another person. Plus I am using the internet as a source (so you know it’s reliable).

Mr. King’s myth list (say it fast three times) is what extroverts believe to be true about introverts. The response is what I believe an introvert may say to an extrovert if pushed.

Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk. “That’s like saying extroverts don’t like to listen. A good conversationalist is one who is both a good listener and a thoughtful speaker.”

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy. “I think your confusing shyness with being reserved. Not everyone is quick to show their cards. Some will choose to pass and not play. It is only after they have watched a few rounds that they will choose to participate.”

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude. “Now who’s being rude? Would you rather I toss out meaningless pleasantries to make you feel comfortable? An introvert would rather be direct and sincere than to run around the woods trying to become one of the trees just to fit in.”

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people. “It’s not that we don’t like people; it’s just that our friends are fewer and closer and may last a lifetime. It just takes a little longer to get to know us – but it’s worth the time spent.”

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public. “I just like to take it in smaller amounts. The stimulus, the conversations, the interactions must be taken in and mulled over. I need some time to sort it all out.”

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone. “Not always. Sometimes I need a few minutes alone to think. I can be very happy just daydreaming. But solitude can change to loneliness if there is no one to share my thoughts with.

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird. “There you are being rude again. You think I am weird because I don’t always go with the group. I usually like to think things through and may choose to follow a different path than the one you’re on.”

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds. “What more name calling? Keep it up and you’ll never get to know me. I would rather be thought aloof than a fool who speaks and acts without thinking. I am just trying to be careful and considerate.”

Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun. “My idea of fun is just different than yours. It may involve a more private and quiet activity. I need time away from the noise so that I can unwind and recharge my batteries.”

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become extroverts. “I don’t think I need to be fixed. Sometimes I need to be alone, and other times I need the company of others. I think that most people are like that. But please let’s dispense with the name tags, I will introduce myself when I am ready.”

No comments:

Post a Comment