Friday, September 30, 2011

Wingding

Last Saturday night my wife, Rhonda, and I attended the benefit for the Scott County Historical Society, “The Bees Knees 1920s Hangar Dance.” The wingding was held in an airplane hangar at Flying Cloud Airport. There was a buffet, cash bar, and the entertainment was provided by The Roseville Big Band, a 19-piece swing band.

Many of the guests wore period costumes and outside a bi-plane and a couple old cars were parked to add to the atmosphere. With the band playing songs from that era, it was easy to get in a rollicking mood.

A regular part of these types of galas are auctions, both live and silent. Fortunately, I was prevented from participating in the live auction as I had been asked to be the auctioneer. My compulsive behavior and the fear of losing out on a “good deal” can lead to rash decisions and buyer’s remorse.

With a silent auction there is more time to contemplate and consider. And with the knowledge that your money is going to a “good cause” a little largesse can be forgiven.

One noteworthy piece drew me in. “Living Life”, a print of a painting by Bonnie L. Mohr, a Minnesota artist. The print has a large tree in the middle of a pasture with a fence and gate in the background. It reminded me of the big cottonwood in the pasture behind our barn. The beautifully painted scene caught my eye, but it was the verse printed below the tree that stirred my mind.

“Life is not a race – but indeed a journey. Be honest. Work hard. Be choosy. Say “thank you”, “I love you”, and “great job” to someone each day. Go to church, take time for prayer. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh. Let your handshake mean more than pen and paper. Love your life and what you’ve been given, it is not accidental – search for your purpose and do it as best as you can. Dreaming does matter. It allows you to become that which you aspire to be. Laugh often. Appreciate the little things in life and enjoy them. Some of the best things really are free. Do not worry, less wrinkles are more becoming. Forgive, it frees the soul. Take time for yourself – plan for longevity. Recognize the special people you’ve been blessed to know. Live for today, enjoy the moment.”

Finding nothing there that I could disagree with, I put my name down on the bid sheet. Five dollars was the minimum starting bid, and I was very happy to imagine that I could get such a treasure for such a small price. Feeling rather pleased with myself I walked back to my table.

A little food, a drink and some conversation can occupy 15 or 20 minutes quite easily. I then began to notice that others had taken an interest in my piece. Well, why not? It was beautiful and others could look at it if they wanted. The auction was to remain open for another two hours, but I felt secure knowing my name was on the sheet.

But wait. What did that man think he was doing? He was putting his name on my bid sheet. And now a crowd had gathered; there were more people standing in front of my print. It was too hard to see what was going on, but it was obvious that I had to get up there and see what was going on. I had been out bid and the price now stood at $10 dollars. I grabbed the pen and put my name down again.

This pattern repeated itself throughout the evening. Fifteen became 20, then 30,
40, and finally 60 dollars (the stated value of the framed print). The agony finally ended, the auction closed, and I got my print.

The 1920’s ended with the crash of ’29 and the start of The Great Depression. I’m not sure this country can avoid another economic calamity, but the right attitude found in the words of Bonnie L. Mohr can help us see us through.

No comments:

Post a Comment