Friday, March 25, 2016

Watching Life Go By

As far as sports go, I’m more of a spectator now than a participant. I enjoy watching middle and high school sports from the stands and most professional sports from my chair.

When I was in school I played football and basketball for a few seasons, but found track and field to be a better fit for me. As a sprinter, my participation was limited to less than two minutes for an afternoon meet. The remainder of the time was spent enjoying the occasional warm spring weather and watching my teammates perform in their events. With all the variables between weather, competitors and events, there was one constant: my dad was at every meet.

Even though I frequently disappointed him both on and off the track, he was a faithful father, always showing his support. When my children were in plays, piano recitals, 4H and sports, I tried to follow my father’s example and be at every event. Although I am sure I missed some, I know I made most of them.

When the kids got older and that chapter in my life ended I remember feeling sad that it was over. It ended far too quickly without warning, but the clock doesn’t stop and there are no time-outs to be called.

As life presents new challenges and opportunities with each passing year, I was blessed to revisit the gym and field to watch my son once more. Only this time it wasn’t to watch him play, now he is the coach. Although I find it rewarding and enjoyable, the stress of the scoreboard is not as great. Perhaps it is because his role has changed, or maybe I have changed as I have aged. I still want him to win, but now I want so much more out of the game than a W; there is so much more I want out of life.

It had not occurred to me that someday, Lord willing, I will be watching my grandchildren play on a team. This revelation came to me on St. Patrick’s Day, which is also my mother’s birthday (Patricia O’Meara – 100% Irish). Even though Mom’s been gone for almost eight years, I see some of her friends from time to time. I saw one of them during a celebration of the blessed day, and she reminded me that we had often seen each other at basketball games (her grandsons and my son are about the same age). She and her husband had faithfully watched their grandsons play. She told me of the sadness she was experiencing of having attended the last of the basketball games, as her youngest grandson would be graduating from high school this spring.

Not everyone has the time, flexible schedule or geographical convenience, but my suggestion would be, if at all possible, to attend as many of your children’s (and grandchildren’s) activities as you can. It will make a difference in their lives. They will notice it, they will appreciate it, and they won’t forget that you were there.  

When life goes by so fast sometimes that all you can do is sit and watch, you may as well get a good seat.


No comments:

Post a Comment