Thursday, November 10, 2016

Winners and Losers

We made our choice, and the second Tuesday of November has come and gone. Finally. I can’t remember when I was sickened more by a presidential race. I am writing this on Sunday, November 6th, so I really have no idea who is going to win, but since there will be winners and losers, allow me to address both sides of the results.

The winners – Congratulations, I hope you’re happy and I hope your side was right, but quite honestly I fear there will come a time when you will wonder, “What was I thinking?”

You ignored all the warning signs and didn’t listen to what was being said (and what wasn’t). Was this the best we could do? I hope I’m wrong – but honestly were there ever two worse choices for President? Did you vote for your candidate because you genuinely believed they were the best, or rather were they simply, not the worst?

Now comes the hard part – living with your choice and accepting the consequences. As your candidate takes office and begins to shape the country in their image, ask yourself, is this what you had in mind, or were you duped? I hope and pray, for the sake of our country, that you were right. If not, God help us all.

The losers – Try not to take it too hard. There’s always next time (maybe). Take heart, God is still in control and he’s not worried. Hold your head up and stop moping about – those people in Washington are going to do what they are going to do, with little or no regard to what you and I think or desire.

Perhaps you were one of the few who promised to move out of the country if the other candidate won. Well, what’s taking you?
If indeed you can find another better place to live than this country you probably better move there and let us get on with our lives.

But, if you’re like me and think the future is still bright regardless of the results of Tuesday, then stick around and see what you can do to make it happen. Our leaders have let us down and they no longer lead. Instead they shock us with their lies and behavior. I am not relying on them to make things better – I will have to set an example by making life better from right here.

For me that means being kind, generous and considerate  - even with those who may not deserve it.  I don’t know what tomorrow may bring; therefore I am going to act like I can make a difference in having it turn out for the better.

Now is the time for you to go for a walk, play some music, paint that picture, read that book, write that novel, play with your children (or grandchildren), call or write a friend (much better than texting and email) and be happy. It is a choice you can make with results that will prove to be successful.






1 comment:

  1. Jerry, you hit the nail on the head. Reading your blog today after watching the repercussions of the election results rings true. The electorate has spoken, so take it like a man. No sniveling allowed. I remember the sinking feeling I had eight short years ago when my candidate did not win. You are right, my job is to do the best I can with what I have, in my sphere of influence, and make a difference. Elizabeth Wesley prayed, "Make my life count", and that is my prayer as well.

    ReplyDelete