Thursday, January 5, 2017

Fake News

“Did you hear what I heard?” Even though that question has a reputation of doing more harm than good by repeating gossip, we often can’t wait for the next part.

In ancient Greece (469 - 399 BC) Socrates had a wise reply for such a question. One day an acquaintance ran up to him and said, "Socrates, do you know what I just heard about one of your students?"

"Wait a moment," Socrates said. "Before you talk to me about my student let's take a moment to filter what you're going to say. The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"

When the answer was no, Socrates said, “Now let's try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my student something good?"

Again the answer was no, so Socrates continued. "You may still pass the test though, because there is a third filter - the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my student going to be useful to me?"

"Well," concluded Socrates after hearing no for the third time, "if what you want to tell me is neither true nor good nor even useful, why tell it to me at all?"

Our almost insatiable appetite for gossip has left us vulnerable. It seems we will gladly lend an ear (or an eye) to anything unjust and juicy. This unhealthy attitude has given fake news websites the large audience they need to broadcast their lies.

Wikipedia says “fake news websites publish hoaxes, propaganda, and disinformation to mislead, rather than entertain, readers for financial or other gain.”

Being the cynic that I am, I have a tendency to view most of our major media sources with a doubtful eye anyway. This is especially true when the information originates from social media, which is where most of the fake news is found and circulated by unsuspecting and unwary participants.

Remember the advice from your childhood, “you can’t believe everything you hear.” The same is true for things you read. Check your sources and seek additional supporting (and contrary) perspectives.  Become a reader of information other than what’s on a computer screen and adopt a practice of being a life-long learner.

Still, other than becoming better informed and refusing to participate in the dissemination of lies, there is little you and I can do to cease the circulation of hoaxes on a national level. The same is not true of gossip, however.

In this regard, we have great power. We can stem the tide by asking the three questions posed by Socrates. Why share false, wicked and harmful information when there is so much good we can talk about.

I know Christmas has come and gone, but I am a firm believer in keeping the good message of Christmas with me all through the year. Therefore, instead of spreading gossip, feel free to spread the gospel by repeating the lyrics of a Christmas song.

“’Do you hear what I hear?’ Said the king to the people everywhere. ‘Listen to what I say, pray for peace people everywhere.’”


No comments:

Post a Comment