Thursday, January 19, 2017

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear

I was reminded more than once to be aware of blind spots when I was learning to drive. In addition to the blind spots caused by the structure of the vehicle, mirrors also presented problems. The mirrors on the sides of the vehicle were once flat and not convex (like they are now). Although the flat, reflective surface gave an accurate representation of the distance of objects in the mirror, there much that was hidden from view.
My first experience “driving” was probably with my dad. Many people my age and older can tell you about a time or two “helping” their dad drive. “I’d sit on his lap in that big old Buick and steer as we drove through town.” (Bruce Springsteen, “My Hometown”)
The first vehicle I drove without assistance was a three-speed pickup. I was spending a summer Saturday with my friend, Mark, at his family’s gravel pit. Mark, in addition to being licensed, was comfortable operating heavy machinery, so for him to teach me how to work a standard transmission seemed quite natural and necessary. We climbed into the truck with me behind the wheel and Mark in the passenger’s seat; Even though it seems easy now, I remember having trouble keeping everything straight: One hand on the steering wheel, one hand on the shifter (three on the tree), one foot on the gas, and the other one positioned over the clutch. I am sure he must have told me about the brake.
As were driving around the pit we hit a deep rut in the road, and without the aid of seat belts, we both flew forward against the dash. The sudden jolt must have caused me to floor the gas pedal because the truck leaped forward. In its path was a road-grader (we knocked the blade off) a fish-house (we went through it) and a large pile of sand (it stopped us).
My other unofficial driving lessons were less harried, but just as memorable. David, my brother-in-law, let me drive his Dodge Polara (with Wisconsin plates) around the parking lot of a state park one summer day. It was the highlight of that camping trip, as I didn’t hit anything or anybody.
My brother, Dan, and I drove around together quite a bit.  Because of him, I learned to appreciate the musical accompaniment the radio provided while cruising around. He also taught me some of the more subtle nuances of driving. For instance, when stopping the car the braking should be gradual, so as not to throw the passenger onto the floor (seat belts were optional back then). Cornering should be done at a speed slow enough so the tires don’t squeal or leave the pavement.

One lesson he taught concerned a particular style of road sign that warns you to reduce speed in one-fifth of a mile. Start slowing down, he suggested, when the sign appeared, as it would be here before I knew it.

I must have missed the signs of the years flying by, for I got here all too soon. This last week I met with some friends to plan our fortieth high school class reunion. The future came so fast I didn’t even see it coming. Looking back now, I think Dan was right - don’t be in a hurry, listen to the music and enjoy the journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment