Thursday, December 16, 2010

Not My Favorite Song

I like things to make sense - to have some logic, some consistency. I get cross when confronted with something that defies my own limited sense of order. Since so much of what we experience this time of year has a Christmassy feel to it, (a blizzard is means we’re going to have “a white Christmas”; many conversations comment about getting your Christmas shopping done - I haven’t it). To be consistent I thought I would stay on task (seems logical) and talk about Christmas music.

Everyone has their favorites (mine includes anything from “A Charlie Brown Christmas,” by Vince Guaraldi), and most everyone has their least favorite (the list gets longer as Christmas approaches).

One song I hear with too much frequency is “My Favorite Things,” from the “Sound of Music.’ I like the move and I like the song, but I contend it is not a Christmas song. I have had this conversation with anyone who will not walk away from me when I bring it up (the list gets shorter as Christmas approaches).

Sometimes the conversation turns into an argument with me defending my position from those who haven’t thought about this enough.

“Charlie Brown? Are you serious?”

“Who made me you the Christmas song sheriff?

Well, first of all, the songs from “A Charlie Brown Christmas,” are different – the cartoon actually was a Christmas show. And secondly, remember this column is just about me sharing my opinion (you are welcome to share yours even if it’s wrong).

Now let’s examine the lyrics together and see if you don’t agree (my comments are added):

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens; (roses are covered with snow, kittens don’t make great gifts).
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens; (are we boiling water for a Christmas tea? Mittens are wintery – so maybe that verse works).
Brown paper packages tied up with strings; (Christmas gifts delivered to your door, or just a poor wrapping job?).
These are a few of my favorite things. (the song title).

Cream-colored ponies and crisp apple strudels; (ponies don’t make great gifts either, and is apple strudel, crisp or otherwise, a holiday traditon in your house?).
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles; (doorbells – now who’s here? Sleighbells are jingle bells so that works. Schnitzel is an Austrian fried meat dish which is sure to upset your holiday vegan guests).
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings; (the geese are flying south – you know what that means, Christmas is just around the corner).
These are a few of my favorite things. (So we heard).

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes; (are these girls going to a holiday party? If so, white is out of season and blue sashes,satin or otherwise, are so 1938).
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes; (OK, this and the next verse are certainly seasonal with the images they create).
Silver-white winters that melt into springs; (It sounds more like April than December).
These are a few of my favorite things. (Thank you, I get it).

When the dog bites, (I’ve been bitten by a dog, and although it hurt it did not put me in the Christmas spirit).
When the bee stings, (Who gets stung by a bee this time of year?).
When I'm feeling sad, (Many people get depressed at Christmas time, so this verse is timely).
I simply remember my favorite things, (Not getting what you want for Christmas – that can make anyone sad).
And then I don't feel so bad. (I do when I hear this song at Christmas).

No comments:

Post a Comment