Thursday, December 30, 2010

What I learned in 2010

When I was out trying to get elected to public office several of Robert Fulghum’s book titles kept entering my mind: “What On Earth Have I Done,” “Maybe (Maybe Not),” “Uh-Oh,” and “All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.”

This is what I learned in 2010

- Walking/biking/fresh air (blah, blah, blah) really are good for you.

- One barking dog may be safe to approach; two is less likely; five – you should stay in your vehicle with the windows rolled up (I didn’t); twelve dogs running down the driveway towards you – well that’s just ridiculous.

- “I’m sorry, they’re not my dogs,” is not something you want to hear after you were just told, “don’t worry these dogs are fine.”

- According to the emergency room physician, if I’m careful I will be able to play the piano after a dog bit my hand. Gee, I always wanted to play the piano.

- People tell me I look like my dad (they must mean the younger version when he was in his 30’s and 40’s).

- You can’t judge a person by their shelter.

- You can hear people swear when their windows are open, “Who the %#@& is at the door now?”

- There are people so lonely they will invite a stranger into their home just to have someone to talk to, someone who will listen. We didn’t talk politics.

- A good teacher is never forgotten. “Your mom was a lovely lady. She was my first grade teacher,” was a comment I heard from several people.

- A stuck doorbell can be unstuck with a pocket knife before it chimes five times.

- Life is all about relationships.

I could, and probably will, expand on some of these topics. But for now, let me tell you about the last one. I witnessed many interactions between family members as they encountered me. My favorite involved a father and son.

It was on a Saturday, and I was biking around one of the towns. When I rode up to one house I saw two men painting an old garage. As I approached them the younger one (about my age) asked if I was there to help. I told them that I wasn’t very good at that kind of thing, but that I could go get my wife, who is a skilled painter

I then introduced myself to them. The younger one explained that he didn’t live there.

“It’s my dad’s place,” he said as he nodded toward his father. “I’m just helping him paint the garage.”

“I’m helping you,” his dad said, as he shuffled past into the garage to get something.

“Well, you are a good son,” I told him.

“Well, he’s been a good father,” he said. “He’s kind of slow, but we have a good time.”

I wanted to stay with them a while longer and share their good time – but they had work to do and I had other people to bother; so I gave them my piece of political propaganda and walked back to my bike. I don’t remember every stop, or every conversation of the campaign, but I’ll never forgot that good father and good son.

What I want is to be known as a good son, a good father, a good husband, a good friend…

It’s not what you get (at Christmas or any other time) – it’s the giving through your living that matters. Keep Christmas with you all through the year; I learned this from Sesame Street when my kids were little.

God Bless Us, Every One!

No comments:

Post a Comment