Thursday, June 25, 2015

Room for Improvement

“The best is the enemy of the good,” wrote Francois–Marie Arouet, a philosopher born in Paris in 1694. Arouet, known by the nom de plume Voltaire, knew, as we all do, that perfection is difficult, if not impossible, to achieve.

I was made aware recently of a problem with the water at our house. Apparently, the water coming from our well has taken on an unpleasant odor, so say regular visitors to our home who feel comfortable enough to help themselves to the water coming from the tap, and comfortable enough to point out its perceived shortcomings. The residents of the house, had not noticed.

Has it come to this I wonder? Is this a sign of me becoming like my grandparents? I used to notice an unusual aroma when I visited my grandparent’s home as a child. I wouldn’t call it unpleasant, yet I cannot imagine it would sell very well as cologne or air freshener.

I went on the Minnesota Department of Health’s website to learn how to clean a well. Although it seems doable, there are plenty of warnings. Electrocution is always a possibility when dealing with electricity, but it’s shocking how quickly the situation can become dangerous when water is thrown in the mix.

I drove to town to purchase some supplies. Fresh laundry–type bleach is recommended, as well as rubber gloves and a hazard–materials suit. I’m kidding about the hazmat suit, but my wife, Rhonda, did warn me about “not wearing anything I care about.” That pretty much describes my entire work–around–the–farm wardrobe. It may improve my appearance if I spilled bleach on my pants or shirt.

A funnel was also a suggested item for the project. Apparently, splashing beach around carelessly is to be avoided. I briefly considered using one of the funnels I have laying around for adding fuel to the tractor and lawn mower, but then I remembered something about the need to keep drinking water safe for human consumption.

After I got back home with my bag of tricks, I examined the well cap to determine how I was going to remove it by loosening the bolts that secured it. Since I hadn’t attended the class on how to choose the correct wrench size, I gathered four from my collection and returned to the well site.

I got close on my first try. Of the four similarly sized wrenches, I was missing a 13/16, the one I needed that I didn’t have – lucky thirteen. I tried a couple monkey wrenches for laughs (both right and left–handed) and a large channel lock pliers. Still there was no movement of the bolt other than a slight rounding of the edges,


With much of my Saturday down the drain, I was still no closer to fixing the problem. In the short story, “The Skylight Room,” O. Henry wrote, “You know you can see the stars even in the daytime from a bottom of a well.” Figuratively, I was gazing into the other end of the abyss. No light, just darkness. For now I was content with leaving well enough alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment