Thursday, June 18, 2015

Shadowed

Sometime last week my grandson, Micah, discovered his shadow. Unlike when the groundhog from Pennsylvania sees its shadow, there is no weather significance attached to this event. Nevertheless, it was a big deal.

Micah waved his hand, moved his arm and walked back forth toward his shadow with the shadow staying true to his movements. It wasn’t until he turned around to see if his shadow was behind him that he found it was only front of him.

We usually only see our shadow in front of us, but the shadow we cast behind us may have a longer–lasting effect. What legacy do we leave behind? Who will remember that we once walked the earth blocking out the sun with our silhouette?

People often speak of shadows in foreboding and ominous tones, but when we project our shadow it means there is a light shining upon us and we are alive; the dead and buried cast no shadows.

Our shadows are reminders that we live and breathe. Right there in front of us, they remind us we have a presence, and that just by being here we have influence – good or bad.  

We are teachers, whether we have a classroom or not. We are ministers, whether we have a congregation of one or many. When we speak our audience may fill an auditorium or just the seat across from us. Our words may be read by many or only one.  
With the shadow we throw we can block the sun to protect against its harmful rays while providing cool and comfort from the stress of the day.

Now is the age of discovery for my grandson. Almost every day he may turn and notice something new, but from now on he will never walk alone. For many years, perhaps the rest of his life, Micah will be aware of his shadow and find it fascinating, perhaps even comforting. Late at night, when he can’t sleep, he may turn to find that his shadow is close by, ready to entertain him with silhouettes of birds and rabbits.

When I was young I walked in the shadows of my father and his father. When I was a small boy they were my giants; they were large in stature, and as I got older they grew in my sight as I learned what it means to be a big man. Honesty and hard work won’t guarantee success, but any victories attained without them are transparent and fleeting.

For now, I over shadow Micah; I am one of the giants that walk among him. As his grandfather, I walk before him. May he find comfort having lived in my shadow long after my light has gone out.

Peter Pan, the boy who wouldn’t grow up, had trouble getting his shadow to stick on. I want Micah to remain a little boy forever, if only for my selfish reasons, but just as the shadows lengthen as the day wanes, Micah will grow tall and strong as he grows up. I pray he always walks in the light and that he discovers where to cast his shadow.



No comments:

Post a Comment